Homemade Fly-Tying Station

So the time has come to put the fly tying station up that my dad and I built. Since every station seemed to be $140 online and expensive everywhere else we built our own. The station was built from scrap wood. The station's base that the vise sits on is from an old sewing machine. Everything else was left over from other projects that was in my dad's shop. It took about 3 weeks, but that was the simple fact that life gets in the way sometimes. I could never have done this without my dad. He was the brains behind the operation. I just had an idea of what I wanted. The original idea was to just have a station and nothing more, but my dad really wanted to put a drawer in it. I didn't want to put him through that trouble, but he makes a good drawer. The only thing to complete it besides my lack of spare bobbins and my thread supply being low is a drawer pull. We are looking to find a fish drawer pull, but Cabela's didn't have one. I am still on the hunt for one.

I want to note that we do not have any measurements or plans for the station. So I will not be able to provide any of that useful information. That does not mean that I can't answer questions that you may have. I think that is what made building it that much more fun. We picked the base and went from there. We measured out the size we wanted the base to be, and later added a drawer to the bottom of the whole thing. We finished it all with a nice american stain.

I plan on tying a lot more now that I don't have to put my tools up in the case every time I am done. I also don't have to get everything out to tie flies. This makes a big difference, because I might want to quickly tie a fly or two in between studying, but never wanted to pull out all the stuff. I hope that you enjoy the pictures that we took while building it. Hopefully we have inspired you to make your own station one day. Tightlines!

The beginning of something great.

Time to staple some wood together

Fresh "routed" pine for the tools to later sit in.

Trying our best to get measurements locked down.


Edging the side of the 2x4. Later the spool holder.

Watch those fingers.

Work in progress

Cutting the future spool holder.

Seems to be lining up just right

Lining things up

Making sure we are lined up again. Never hurts to check twice.

Testing the waters for the drawer front.

Sanding the wood filler in the nail holes.

Creative shot by my dad.

The finished product

3 weeks later and we're in business

We believe some wax or oil did not sand out on the sewing machine base.
We consider it the tying station's birth mark!

Station with the drawer open.

The station with what tools and thread that I have.